Wireless Networking Stuff
Instructions for setting up and securing a wireless network
using Linux and 802.11b stuff. There's also information on making
IPSEC and DHCP operate happily together.
Setting Up A Wireless Network
Details of the steps required to create a wireless network
operating other than in the default configuration.
Making DHCP And IPSEC Work Together
Note that this
does not work with kernel 2.6.9
(the only I have tried)!
It's convenient for network administration to use DHCP to configure
clients. And it's
a good idea
to use IPSEC on the wireless link for security and authentication. However, making the two work
together is a little more complex when the IPSEC link is between
two directly connected hosts and you want all traffic on the link
to be encrypted! But it can be done.
While making all the above operate, I came across a number of useful
was the originating source for most of them, and these were the ones
I found most useful.
- This page is in German. I do not understand German. However,
it's not too hard to follow, and shows some wonderful tricks to
allow configuring PCMCIA cards differently depending upon the environment.
And more useful links too.
- The Linux Wireless LAN HOWTO from Jean Tourrilhes, which contains
a good deal of information, and more links than you can shake a stick at!
- Encrypting Network Traffic
- Part of the Linux Encryption HOWTO. It's becoming a little dated,
but is still useful.
- Additional information on policy routing in general, with a number
of useful examples.
- A linux alternative to LinkSys's WAP-11 access point configuration
client. I haven't tried this, as I found the web browser interface OK.
- The project page for a KDE program to configure and monitor
an Orinoco wireless card. I haven't tried this - yet!
- A vast collection of information about networking products in general,
including product reviews and customer comments.
- Part of O'Reilly's
this article covers the history of wireless LAN security, or lack of it.
- Another collection of wireless information, based on experience.
It also has a useful collection of links.
Version: $Revision: 1.2 $;
Updated at 15:47 EST on Tue Apr 11, 2006
Copyright (C) 2002 - 2006, Lindsay Harris